Recruiting and Retention Process with Grover Cleveland- Part 3 of a 3 Part Series
In this episode, Christina Martini and Grover Cleveland discuss:
- Summer internship and summer programs for lawyers
- Do law students take internships more seriously than in the past
- Challenges that law firms face developing their summer programs
- What summer associates need to do to be successful
- Firms need to make summer programs and internships as positive as possible
- Law students now have a lot more to learn than their predecessors did
- Law firms need to find the right balance to give the law students the right experience they need to be ready for real life
- Summer associates need to get into the habit of tracking their time
“Sometimes people forget that you may not have the chance to be able to make a second impression.” — Grover Cleveland
About Grover Cleveland:
Grover E. Cleveland is a Seattle lawyer, speaker and the author of the bestselling career advice book for new lawyers, Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks: The Essential Guide to Thriving as a New Lawyer published by West.
Grover is passionate about helping new lawyers thrive. He is a regular speaker on career success for law students and new lawyers, including presentations and seminars at law firms of all sizes; ABA, NALP, PDC, and LGBT Bar Association national conferences; and law schools, including Harvard. His presentations cover the practical skills new graduates need to become better lawyers faster and provide more value to clients.
A recognized expert on new lawyer success, Grover is also a frequent contributor to national legal publications. His career column, Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks: Practical Advice for New Lawyers, appears in prominent law blogs, including Above the Law and Ms. JD. His articles have also appeared in ABA, NALP and other legal publications, as well as American Lawyer Media’s Careerist blog.
He was a summer associate, associate, and a partner at Foster Pepper PLLC, one of the Northwest’s larger law firms. His clients included the Seattle Seahawks as well as other companies owned by Microsoft co-founder, Paul Allen.
A lawyer for more than 20 years, Grover has overseen the work of other lawyers in all stages of practice. He has also been the client to outside counsel. This broad range of experience gives him a unique perspective on the skills new lawyers need to succeed.
He is not related to the 22nd and 24th President of the United States.
Connect with Grover Cleveland:
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Britnie Leverett
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
swipe to see more