Welcome to Change Your Mindset (formerly known as Improv Is No Joke) where it is all about believing that strong communication skills are the best way in delivering your technical accounting knowledge and growing your business. The way of building stronger communication skills is by embracing the principles of applied improvisation. Your host is Peter Margaritis, CPA a.k.a. The Accidental Accountant, will interview financial professionals and business leaders to find their secret in building stronger relationships with their clients, customers, associates, and peers, all the while, growing their businesses.
Ep. 57 – Jason Michaels: You Can Do The Impossible, Too!
Today’s guest, Jason Michaels, is a professional entertainer, speaker, and author with astounding experience in the arts of deception. A storyteller by heart, Jason loves to blend impossible mysteries with unforgettable tales.
Diagnosed with Tourette’s Syndrome at the age of six, Jason overcame the impossible and became an award-winning sleight of hand artist and professional speaker. He motivates audiences to see beyond their challenges and self-imposed limitations and inspires them to take action by living bigger bolder lives with his keynote program and book, You Can Do The Impossible, Too!
Jason’s also performs The Card Shark, a true story of scams, cons, and hustles. It is a one-man, autobiographical sleight of hand show that dives deep into the world of confidence men, fortune tellers, and charismatic magicians.
If you’re not familiar, Tourette’s syndrome is a neurological brain chemical disorder that manifests itself by what doctors refer to as tics, which are basically uncontrollable movements or vocalizations.
Tourette’s can be a challenging disorder to overcome, particularly when your passion is on stage, but Jason has always thrived on putting himself in uncomfortable situations.
Sharing that story is incredibly powerful and important because every single person feels like something in their life is impossible… but it IS possible to overcome that.
This ability to overcome your fears and deal with the adversity – even the seemingly impossible – is a parallel message to the power of improvisation and Yes, And. It boils down to having a strong positive mental attitude and taking on adversity and your fears head on.
Jason’s book, You Can Do The Impossible, Too!, details his journey with overcoming Tourette’s syndrome to become a success in business and in life. It is a must-buy if you fall into one of these three groups of people:
- People who like magic and entertainment and want to read incredible adventures, stories, and crazy stunts (like attempting Houdini’s underwater torture cell on live TV).
- People around the world that have Tourette’s syndrome, and especially their loved ones. “I know what that’s like. I know what it’s like to be a kid … how do you get through the next day? Because you’re having such a hard day and you’re having these twitches and it’s uncontrollable and it literally feels like hell … if I share my story, maybe they will learn, from my point of view, some new ways to help their loved one, their child, their sibling, whatever.”
- And then there’s the audience of folks who want to push themselves. People who want to get outside of their comfort zone or need a message of inspiration to let them know that they’re not alone.
- Connect with Jason: Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Watch Jason’s TEDx Talk
- You Can Do the Impossible, Too!: How One Man Overcame Tourette’s Syndrome to Become an Acclaimed Professional Magician, and How You, Too, Can Live Your Biggest, Boldest Life by Jason Michaels
Production & Development for Improv Is No Joke by Podcast Masters
swipe to see more