Welcome to Change Your Mindset (formerly known as Improv Is No Joke) where it is all about believing that strong communication skills are the best way in delivering your technical accounting knowledge and growing your business. The way of building stronger communication skills is by embracing the principles of applied improvisation. Your host is Peter Margaritis, CPA a.k.a. The Accidental Accountant, will interview financial professionals and business leaders to find their secret in building stronger relationships with their clients, customers, associates, and peers, all the while, growing their businesses.
Ep. 29 – Dr. Jay Young: Founder of College Bound Advantage
Today’s guest, Dr. Jay Young, just launching College Bound Advantage to provide more value and information to any college applicants, and their families, in the Ohio area.
At College Bound Advantage, Jay will use his 20 years of academic experience and months of in-depth campus research to provide applicants with a trail map and all of the information they will need to make the best decision. His expertise and knowledge is only $549 – well under the $3,000 it costs, on average, to hire a college consultant.
“People look for colleges but it’s really like hiking without a trail map.”
When people apply to colleges, they are often going into the experience somewhat blind. College consultants and school counselors have a keen understanding of the academic timeline and the best strategies for applying to a college, but they don’t necessarily know about academic programs.
Jay’s primary focus is on academic programs. He’s interested in the ways that they are connected to each other and the kinds of opportunities they provide students, both while attending and after graduating.
College applicants really don’t know what they don’t know and they don’t really know what to look for – and they certainly might not know where to begin or where to go. Now there’s College Bound Advantage.
“I do what college consultants don’t do and I do what high school counselors don’t do. I know colleges in Ohio and I know their academic programs, I know their co-curricular programs and I know the trade-offs that result from the connections between those.”
Jay went to more than 50 Ohio colleges to prepare for his launch. When he visits a campus, he makes sure to do at least three things:
- A student-led campus tour to see the campus and talk to students who are actually attending there.
- A meeting with admissions to talk generally about programs, what schools they compete with, what they’re proud of, what’s going well and what’s new.
- A meeting with a faculty member who is in one of the programs that they are particularly proud of to talk specifically about
- the program as a whole
- other similar programs in Ohio
- the best programs outside of this school
- important accreditations
- required academic standards
Speaking with faculty members in unfamiliar, different disciplines helped Jay dive deep into how academic programs are structured and organized, what represents a quality program, and what doesn’t – even outside of the business programs, which he is very familiar with.
When you come to Jay at College Bound Advantage, he will go through a three-step process to give the student and their family an edge.
- Intake – Transcripts, standardized test scores, personality test and a short interview to establish the student’s and family’s top priorities. Jay also educates the family on issues related to student debt.
- Trail Map – The trail map basically provides them feedback on the personality inventory, re-identifies the criteria that were discussed and prioritized, then identifies five to eight colleges that meet those criteria. For each school, he then provides feedback on how each criteria is or isn’t met and exactly the ways in which the school meets them.
- Coaching – Depending on the majors and what the student prioritizes, Jay provides a set of things to make sure the student covers and to make sure they do when they visit campus, so that they make those campus visits meaningful and better enable them to make the best decision.
“I can help them get to the right schools to look at the right programs and ask the right questions so they can make the best decision.”
I greatly appreciate Jay taking the time to talk about his new business endeavor. It’s an insane value proposition for the price he is asking, so I highly recommend heading over to College Bound Advantage to learn more or email DrJay (at) collegeboundadvantage.com to discuss a consultation.
Production & Development for Improv Is No Joke by Podcast Masters
swipe to see more