Dorri McWhorter: An Innovative Transformation for Women Empowerment
The YWCA has had a long legacy for providing social services to a number of different communities. Learn more about its journey of transformation from a 140-year-old social service agency to a twenty-first century social enterprise in today’s interview with Dorri McWhorter, the current CEO of YWCA Chicago and one of the top women innovators listed in Chicago’s #TheBlueNetwork.
Dorri tells the story of how her experience in a number of corporate positions gave her the perspective to find new solutions for the YWCA’s transformation. She also talks about the YWCA, and how it has remained true to its vision while being able to find its own foothold in modern society. She touches as well on her thoughts about having more women tapped for the boardrooms of many other companies and organizations today.
While remaining true to its vision, the YWCA has enjoyed a welcome transition in modern society. Learn from Dorri, as she talks about the YWCA’s initiatives and how you too can be empowered to engage people and be involved with your community today.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
• The importance of exposure to different situations in providing new solutions to any organization or company.
• How YWCA Chicago has been able to raise awareness on their vision of eliminating racism and empowering women.
• What women can do to find opportunities for career advancement and boardroom positions.
• We’ve really raised the visibility of the YWCA and the work that we do, so people are aware that these things are happening… right in their backyard.
• It’s about what you do in your day-to-day work, but it’s also about extending that network and keeping that professional circle well-populated so you can have access to opportunities.
• It is a good idea to be exposed to a number of different situations, as they may give you the perspective to find solutions and growth in a number of different areas in the future.
• Among the first steps to take in helping a community, raising awareness about a key issue is very important. In today’s modern society, there are a number of ways to make people aware of problems that may just be happening in their backyard.
• Career advancement, even appointments to the board of directors, rely not only on the work you do, but also on the network you have. Being involved in communities and organizations will help expand your network and make you open to many opportunities.
Related Links & References:
• Dorri’s Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/dorrimcwhorter
• YWCA Chicago website: www.ywcachicago.org/
• #NotThatComplicated: www.ywcachicago.org/notthatcomplicated/
• YShop.org: yshop.org
• National Association of Corporate Directors’ website: nacdonline.org
• The Mayor’s Commission for a Safer Chicago: www.cityofchicago.org/saferchicago
swipe to see more