30 Networking Questions to Make You Memorablehttps://c-suitenetwork.com/advisors/wp-content/themes/csadvisore/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Sheila Anderson Sheila Anderson https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/8bc0ec53e6f7ac5a4266ca38480eeb8c?s=96&d=mm&r=g
You walk into a room filled with people that is buzzing with conversations. You carefully look around until your eyes meet a person by themselves and you smile. You walk over to them, introduce yourself, and shake their hand. Then, for many, the hard part begins. How does one have an engaging and memorable conversation with someone they just met?
For many, we tend to freeze up in these instances. Sure, you can visit about the weather or some current events, but that does not help you to understand who they are and the value they can add to your professional life or vice versa. Instead of asking the typical questions, try one of these 30 networking questions to help you get to know someone better and make the overall conversation meaningful and memorable.
- What is the number one takeaway you hope to gain from this event?
- What did you learn from today’s speaker?
- How did you learn about this event?
- What type of connections do you hope to make today?
- What other events similar to this have you attended?
- If there is one thing I can help you with, what would that be?
- How can I help you succeed?
- What project(s) are you working on?
- Why did you decide to go into your field/business?
- What problem do you/your business solve for others?
- What is the biggest challenge you see happening in your industry?
- What is the latest news in your industry?
- What trends do you see in your industry?
- What’s the toughest part of your job?
- What kind of education/training do you need for your job?
- What is a typical day like for you?
- How did you come up with the idea to start your business?
- What book are you reading now and what is the one thing you have learned from it?
- What volunteer work do you do?
- Do you serve on any boards?
- What do you do for fun outside of your work?
- What is one interesting fact about you that may surprise me?
- Are you originally from this area and/or how did you end up in this city?
- What is the best piece of business advice you have ever received?
- What advice do you give to others in your industry?
- How do you stay motivated?
- What skills are essential for anyone in your industry to have?
- What are some of your favorite life hacks?
- What is the one app you can’t live without?
- How do you feel you or your company makes an impact?
At the end of the conversation, there is always the business card exchange. Take this time to tell them how much you enjoyed visiting with them. Be sure to repeat their name as you thank them, and state one thing about them that stood out or that you enjoyed learning from talking with them. This last piece shows you actively listened and were engaged, and it will help you to remember an interesting tidbit about them the next time you are together or think of them. It will make you and the other person memorable.
Powering your strategic visibility! Sheila Anderson is an image and impression management expert driven to empower corporate professionals across the globe in growing their strategic visibility through her return on image® services. Using her I.C.U. process, Sheila works with leaders to lean into personal style and build authentic brand.